Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Meds I have taken - so I can check interactions

Trifluoperazine (Eskazinyl, Eskazine, Jatroneural, Modalina, Stelazine, Terfluzine, Trifluoperaz, Triftazin) is a typical antipsychotic of the phenothiazine chemical class.

The primary application of trifluoperazine is for schizophrenia. Other official indications may vary country by country, but generally it is also indicated for use in agitation and patients with behavioural problems, severe nausea and vomiting as well as severe anxiety. Its use in many parts of the world has declined because of highly frequent and severe early and late tardive dyskinesia, a type of extrapyramidal symptom. The annual development rate of tardive dyskinesia may be as high as 4%.[citation needed]
A 2006 study suggested that trifluoperazine may be able to reverse addiction to opioids.[1]
A multi-year UK study by the Alzheimer's Research Trust suggested that this and other antipsychotic drugs commonly given to Alzheimer's patients with mild behavioural problems often make their condition worse.[2]
 MY EXPERIENCE:  I have never had any side effects using it in the past for anxiety. At 1mg twice a day I do not get any sedation like it warns on the packet. And it seemed to help with dizziness rather than cause it.  I often feel like I could benefit from taking this in what the doctor told me was a homeopathic dose because it was so low.  I was prescribed this drug while I was pregnant and that would not be done in this day and age.  I have taken it for a few weeks at a time since then and always thought that it helped get me through a bad time but last time I asked for it I was not able to convince a doctor to prescribe it.  I have since tried an atypical anti-psychotic as an experiment for a day or two and had too many side effects to tolerate so I would much prefer to risk tardive dyskinesis with this medication.  However the drug below might be worth asking for.  They are in the same class.

Prochlorperazine (Compazine, Stemzine, Buccastem, Stemetil, Phenotil) is a dopamine (D2) receptor antagonist that belongs to the phenothiazine class of antipsychotic agents that are used for the antiemetic treatment of nausea and vertigo. It is also a highly potent typical antipsychotic, 10-20x more potent than chlorpromazine. It is also used to treat migraine headaches. Intravenous administration can be used to treat status migrainosus.

CAUTION: Not to be used with:
Reductil (sibutramine hydrochloride) Australian prescribing information. Abbott Australasia Pty. Ltd. March 5, 2004.

Consider using for non-psychotic anxiety (web MD Drugs and Medication Search).

MY EXPERIENCE:  I have never had any side effects using it on an occasional basis for nausea and dizziness. At 5mg I do not get any sedation like it warns on the packet.  I never thought to use it for Serotonin Withdrawal Symptoms of spatial jerking and distortion but In the UK prochlorperazine maleate has been prescribed to alleviate the symptoms of labyrinthitis, which include not only nausea and vertigo, but spatial and temporal 'jerking' and distortion[5]



Tramadol hydrochloride - Apo-Tramadol,Zydol (50mg), Duratram (100mg) in Australia (trademarked as Conzip, Ryzolt, Ultracet, Ultram in the USA, Ralivia in Canada) is a centrally acting synthetic analgesic used to treat moderate to moderately-severe pain. The drug has a wide range of applications, including treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, restless legs syndrome and fibromyalgia. It was launched and marketed as Tramal by the German pharmaceutical company Grünenthal GmbH in 1977.[1][2]
Tramadol is a very weak μ-opioid receptor agonist, induces serotonin release, and inhibits the reuptake of norepinephrine.[3][4] Tramadol is converted to O-desmethyltramadol, a significantly more potent μ-opioid agonist. The opioid agonistic effect of tramadol and its major metabolite(s) is almost exclusively mediated by such μ-opioid receptors. This further distinguishes tramadol from opioids in general (including morphine), which do not possess tramadol's degree of receptor subtype selectivity and which are much stronger opiate-receptor agonists. Similarly, the habituating properties of tramadol (such as they are) are arguably mainly due to μ-opioid agonism with contributions from serotonergic and noradrenergic effects.

Tramadol is also molecularly similar to venlafaxine (Effexor) and has similar SNRI effects, with antinociceptive effects. It has been suggested that tramadol could be effective for alleviating symptoms of depression, anxiety, and phobias[6] because of its action on the noradrenergic and serotonergic systems, such as its "atypical" opioid activity.[7] 

MY EXPERIENCE:  I get constipated with this medication. It slows down gut motility without necessarily effecting stool consistency in me so that I can get very backed up.  I have never had any untoward CNS side-effects using it on an very occasional (50mg non-XR or SR) basis for pain but when I started using it daily in the form of a once a day sustained release tablet (Durotram 100mg) for severe leg pain and I had to have breaks from it to alleviate constipation, I noticed withdrawal symptoms the same as those of coming off SSRI and SNRI anti-depressants.  This addiction may have happened earlier but I was blaming withdrawing from Lovan depsite the dose being consistent most days.  I am currently withdrawing from this medication so that I can recommence my continuing withdrawal from Lovan.  A week of horrible CNS head effects so far.  I am not sure if it is also contributing to tachycardia, breathlessness, inability to hold myself upright or even hold my ipad because it is too heavy and POTs.  I do not know what I am going to do when my pain levels go up but so far increased pain levels has not been a part of the withdrawal.  My mood could be angry because of this withdrawal. If things do not improve soon I will have to increase the Lovan aka Prozac which is what I used to get off Effexor (mentioned above) in a past prolonged withdrawal.  My doctors would be happy for me to go on a full dose of Lovan but I have been withdrawing for years and got down to 3.3mg before this interference with Tramadol.  Very annoyed about not being told.

Fluoxetine, Lovan (also known by the tradenames Prozac, Sarafem, Fontex, among others) is an antidepressant of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) class. Fluoxetine was first documented in 1974 by scientists from Eli Lilly and Company.[1] It was presented to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in February 1977, with Eli Lilly receiving final approval to market the drug in December 1987. Fluoxetine went off-patent in August 2001.


Fluoxetine is frequently used to treat major depression, obsessive compulsive disorder, bulimia nervosa, panic disorder, body dysmorphic disorder and premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Caution should be taken when using any SSRI for bipolar disorder as this can increase the likelihood of mania; however, fluoxetine can be used with an antipsychotic (such as Quetiapine) for bipolar[4] It has also been used for cataplexy, obesity, and alcohol dependence,[4] as well as binge eating disorder.[5]

Akathisia, that is inner tension, restlessness, and the inability to stay still, often accompanied by "constant pacing, purposeless movements of the feet and legs, and marked anxiety", is a common side effect of fluoxetine.[16][17] Akathisia usually begins after the initiation of the treatment or increase of the dose and disappears after fluoxetine is stopped or its dose is decreased, or after treatment with propranolol.[16][18][19] There are case reports directly linking akathisia with suicidal attempts, with patients feeling better after the withdrawal of fluoxetine, and again developing severe akathisia on repeated exposure to fluoxetine. These patients described "that the development of the akathisia made them feel suicidal and that it had precipitated their prior suicide attempts".[19] The experts note that because of the link of akathisia with suicide and the distress it causes to the patient, "it is of vital importance to increase awareness amongst staff and patients of the symptoms of this relatively common condition".[20][21] More rarely, fluoxetine has been associated with related movement disorders acute dystonia and tardive dyskinesia.[17][22][23]

In addition, rash or urticaria, sometimes serious, was observed in 7% patients in clinical trials; one-third of these cases resulted in discontinuation of the treatment. Postmarketing reports note several cases of complications developed in patients with rash. The symptoms included vasculitis and lupus-like syndrome. Death has been reported to occur in association with these systemic events.[6]

 MY EXPERIENCE: I have had a love-hate relationship with Prozac and Lovan.  Anxiety levels increased getting on and off this medication and I have been prescribed Stelezine for the purpose of dealing with the artificially induced anxiety in the past.  It eventually helped with my mood but only for a maximum of 2 years or earlier when I began to experience withdrawal before the next dose was due.  During menopause at this point one time my dose was doubled from 20 to 40mg.  I began to then get uncontrollable mood swings which stopped after going back down to 20mg.  I thought I was becoming bipolar.  The number of years I have lost to bad experiences withdrawing from this or any other SSRI or SNRI have led me to swear that I will never go on this class of drug again but doctors with their lack of wisdom about Myalgic Encephalomyelitis have insisted I go back on it as soon as I start complaining about my physical symptoms.  I am currently withdrawing from this medication and I am into my third year of experiencing horrible CNS effects each time I take a cut in dose.  I currently take 3.3mg which is half a dispersible tablet dissolved in a 30ml measuring cup from which I sip 5ml.




 This list will be added to as time and health permit.

No comments: