Sunday, November 13, 2016

Lymphoma drug Rituximab for MEcfs

Dr. Ã˜ystein Fluge is Chief Physician in the Department of Oncology at Haukeland University Hospital, University of Bergen, Norway.  He received his medical degree in 1988 from the University of Bergen and has specialized in oncology since 2004.  He has conducted research at the Surgical Institute and Department of Molecular Biology, University of Bergen and has been funded as a Research Fellow by the Norwegian Cancer Society.

In 2004, Dr. Fluge and his colleague, Dr. Olav Mella, a neurologist at the same institution, noticed that a patient’s ME/CFS symptoms improved substantially while undergoing chemotherapy treatment for a concurrent diagnosis of lymphoma.  This was followed by a pilot study in 2009 with positive results. In 2011, Dr. Fluge, Dr. Mella, and their colleagues published a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial of rituximab in 30 ME/CFS patients demonstrating that  two-thirds of the intervention group experienced moderate to major improvements in their ME/CFS symptoms. For a medical condition with no disease-modifying treatments, this was a ground-breaking study. Currently, they are in the midst of attempting to replicate their results in a larger Phase III multi-center study in Norway.

The above was Dr Fluge's bio from the recent IACFS/ME Conference outline.

I was just wondering if you've got any of Dad's cancer/immune suppression/B cell depletion drugs still lying around?  I guess you think I'm joking.  Which drug ending in mab did he use?  It's just that by the time they figure out how to cure this thing and release the drug to the impoverished masses via Medicare, I could be dead.

Went to Coles for the first time in ages today.  I've been ordering groceries online since I couldn't walk straight, was dizzy and my heart was pounding after moving my body, even lifting an arm.  I did use the new wheelie walker at home but at the Golden Beach shops/doctors I only used a walking stick or just went ultra slow.  I only went out when I had no choice. I've had problems with breathing too as you know.  The first three things have just vanished more or less overnight when I started taking Jarrow Formula's sublingual Methyl B-12 which is not the same thing as what you can buy at the chemist because of the type of B12.  I have been taking it for 2 weeks I suppose and I am sure my brain is working a bit better too and I'm not falling asleep all the time. I do not know how much that 2 weeks has altered my serum B12.  I guess it may not show up as "Low" on the blood test I requested on Thursday but I am heading to another new doctor next week to find out.

I have read that people are getting neurological (including dementia) symptoms from low B12 even before it reaches the cut-off point for too low that the pathology labs set as standard.  I wish they would do something about that because the doctors set their standard by the pathology labs.  My doctor recently ran some blood tests but they were the same old ones and even if anything was slightly raised I would not be told.  I just got the standard reply "no action necessary".  It was hard enough to get an actual figure for my blood glucose 3 month average which was a well-controlled 6.2, one point up from last time.  What I mean to say is that if low B12 is going to be the explanation for my decline this year, then it will not be forthcoming from my regular doctor.  I'm doing this myself.  It also ties in with my MTHFR gene mutations.

No comments: