Friday, January 28, 2011

Blood Tests Were Bad Enough To Look For More

I am in pain writing this but hyped up from my day out despite feeling like I am half dead but what do you expect, I had a doctors appointment, a blood test, a walk to the x-ray for a liver ultrasound only to find I have to fast for it on Tuesday.  I found out that some people can be fully subsidised for an osteoporosis check there under certain conditions and she seemed to think that years of cortisone use may be one of them.  I will have to remember to ask about that next Thursday when I go back to Dr Fleur Thomas again for the results.

Getting on with the most activity I have done (against my better judgement) since...I can't remember.......I then had to head to Medicare to get money to buy tobacco because no I did not ask for a nicotine script.  There was enough going on. And then I decided to buy a long dress that I will be wearing as a nightie around the house which is very elegant for $15.  I felt terrible in the dressing cubicle but I was too hyped up and determined to buy something nice for myself once this year!  I do not remember the last clothes I bought - probably an op shop.

Back to the bloodtests from 2 weeks ago, I finally got the results and there are several things elevated above normal:  White cells, lymphocytes, Gamma G.T. and ESR.  Only the ESR has improved over the blood test before that but it is still elevated. The low one is Urea and there are quite a few close to borderline but considered normal including the electrolytes sodium and potassium.  If it means anything to you, my cholesterol was 6.7 and triglycerides 2.4 mmol/L.


Just pray it isn't lymphoma and that it isn't liver disease because I'd rather have the congestive heart failure that an elevated GGT can indicate when it does not indicate alcoholism.  But I guess they don't know about the congestive heart failure because they are specifically looking at the liver hence the fasting ultrasound next week.  That pain in my right side that has come back since the bowel attack but it is nowhere near my liver but I did record upper right pain a few days on some records I was keeping for my cfids selfhelp course - there is a lot of charting and recording and target setting.  It is all probably no big deal because it can be a "reactive" liver problem - reacting to my virus she still says is indicated by the ESR.  She also says my lungs are much clearer but they have hardly been a problem except for still coughing up phlegm.  I never did get a heavy chest.

Elevated GGT means:

Elevated GGT levels may indicate that something is damaging the liver but not specifically what. In general, the higher the level the greater the "insult" to the liver. Elevated levels may be due to liver disease, but they may also be due to other conditions, such as congestive heart failure and alcohol consumption. A high GGT level would help rule out the cause of an increased ALP as a bone disorder. 

I know for sure it is not a problem with alcohol consumption

Low Urea

Low urea levels are not common and are not usually a cause for concern. They can be seen in severe liver disease or malnutrition but are not used to diagnose or monitor these conditions. Low urea can be caused by excessive alcohol consumption. Overhydration from intravenous fluids can result in a low BUN (blood urea nitrogen) . Normal changes in renal bloodflow during pregnancy will also lower BUN.

 Elevated White Cell Count

 A white blood cell count is high when leukocytes (white blood cells) are helping your body to fight an infection in your body because there are more disease fighting cells in your body. A high white blood cell count is also called leukocytosis. But It is important to be aware that a high white blood cell count does not identify a specific problem...but apart from the obvious, I also found this "The study shows that WBC counts over 6.7 x109/L are linked with an increased risk of heart attacks, strokes, and death in older women"


Lymphocytosis (as stated on pathology report hence the follow-up Lymphocyte surface-marker studies I get the results for tomorrow)

Apart from CLL leukemias, lymphomas and stuff like that, glandular fever would be the most obvious cause for me because that is what I feel like - even got those dark circles under my eyes but it can be from human acute CMV infection and I bet also XMRV.

ESR elevated






The man
omgosh, he is off to view a share apartment with two girls in Maroochydore (the CBD of the Sunshine Coast is where he wants to be).  No wonder he is in such eustress.  Yes, that is what has changed about him over the last couple of years.  He used to be distressed but now he is eustressed and both cause him brain scatter just like his Mum.  Today is the kinda day he'll lose his wallet.  He's been complaining he can't get organized.

No comments: